Sunday, August 11, 2013


STUDIES IN ROMANS

LESSON 41

IS GOD UNJUST?


Romans 9:10-16 (KJV)

10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac; 11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;) 12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger. 13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated. 14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

Romans 9:10-16 (CEB)

10 Not only that, but also Rebecca conceived children with one man, our ancestor Isaac. 11 When they hadn’t been born yet and when they hadn’t yet done anything good or bad, it was shown that God’s purpose would continue because it was based on his choice. 12 It wasn’t because of what was done but because of God’s call. This was said to her: The older child will be a slave to the younger one.[a] 13 As it is written, I loved Jacob, but I hated Esau.[b] 14 So what are we going to say? Isn’t this unfair on God’s part? Absolutely not! 15 He says to Moses, I’ll have mercy on whomever I choose to have mercy, and I’ll show compassion to whomever I choose to show compassion.[c] 16 So then, it doesn’t depend on a person’s desire or effort. It depends entirely on God, who shows mercy.

1.   APPEARANCE OF PARADOX V.10-16


Ø  Up to now Paul has presented the beauty & power of God’s provision of salvation, not based upon works, but rather faith


Ø  Now he presents a seeming paradox – God’s choice seems to violate man’s free will and choice; ergo: Jacob & Esau (see footnote [a]-[c])


Ø  God (knowing our hearts & minds from beginning to end of our lives) chose special roles for each to further His plan of salvation based on choices He knew we would make, thus extending mercy to those who call upon Him


BECAUSE GOD KNEW WE WOULD CHOOSE HIM, HE CHOSE US.


BLOG:          http://biblebiscuits.blogspot.com


PODCAST: http://www.lifetimeinchristministries.org


 

 

 

FOOTNOTES:

[a] Genesis 25:23 (CEB) 23 And the Lord said to her, “Two nations are in your womb;
        two different peoples will emerge from your body. One people will be stronger than the other; the older will serve the younger.”

[b] Malachi 1:2 (CEB) I have loved you, says the Lord; but you say, “How have you loved us?” Wasn’t Esau Jacob’s brother? says the Lord.


[c] Exodus 33:19 (CEB) 19 The Lord said, “I’ll make all my goodness pass in front of you, and I’ll proclaim before you the name, ‘The Lord.’ I will be kind to whomever I wish to be kind, and I will have compassion to whomever I wish to be compassionate.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment