Sunday, August 18, 2013


STUDIES IN ROMANS

LESSON 42

IS GOD UNJUST? (CONTINUED)


Romans 9:17-24 (KJV)

17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. 18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth. 19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? 20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? 21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? 22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: 23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory, 24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Romans 9:17-24 (CEB)


17 Scripture says to Pharaoh, I have put you in this position for this very thing: so I can show my power in you and so that my name can be spread through the entire earth.[a] 18 So then, God has mercy on whomever he wants to, but he makes resistant whomever he wants to. 19 So you are going to say to me, “Then why does he still blame people? Who has ever resisted his will?” 20 You are only a human being. Who do you think you are to talk back to God? Does the clay say to the potter,Why did you make me like this?[b] 21 Doesn’t the potter have the power over the clay to make one pot for special purposes and another for garbage from the same lump of clay? 22 What if God very patiently puts up with pots made for wrath that were designed for destruction, because he wanted to show his wrath and to make his power known? 23 What if he did this to make the wealth of his glory known toward pots made for mercy, which he prepared in advance for glory? 24 We are the ones God has called. We don’t come only from the Jews but we also come from the Gentiles.

1.    PHARAOH V.17-20


Ø  Put in position to show the power & mercy of God


2.    POTTER V.21-22


Ø  Example: to explain how & why God does things this way


3.    POWER V.23-24


Ø  What His power & mercy accomplish


GOD IS BOTH JUST AND IN CONTROL FOR BELIEVERS’ BENEFIT.


BLOG:  http://biblebiscuits.blogspot.com


PODCAST: http://www.lifetimeinchristministries.org


FOOTNOTES


Exodus 9:16 (CEB)


16 But I’ve left you standing for this reason: in order to show you my power and in order to make my name known in the whole world.

Isaiah 29:16 (CEB)


16 You have everything backward! Should the potter be thought of as clay? Should what is made say of its maker, “He didn’t make me”? Should what is shaped say of the one who shaped it, “He doesn’t understand”?

Isaiah 45:9 (CEB)


Doom to the one who argues with the potter as if he were just another clay pot!
Does the clay say to the potter, “What are you making?” or “Your work has no handles”

No comments:

Post a Comment